“…Know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em, know when to walk away, know when to run…”
Meetings are an inevitable part of work life. But do we really get value from the time we spend in meetings? This half-day course will turn meetings from a chore to an indispensable tool to get things done.
What you’ll learn
In this course you’ll learn how to make meetings more effective, productive, and shorter. You’ll learn ways to do this whether you are the meeting organizer, chair, or just as a participant.
By the end of this course you will understand and know:
- What makes for a good meeting and what meetings are good for
- How to determine whether a meeting is worth your while
- How to prepare in advance for a productive meeting
- How to prepare an effective agenda
- Tips to keep meetings short and on track
- How to run a tight meeting as the chairperson
- How to get a meeting on track if you are not the chairperson
- How to deal with meeting disruptions and things that take meetings off course
- The importance of action items
- What should be captured in meeting summary
Who should take this course?
This course is for anyone who feels they go to too many meetings, or who feels the time they spend in meetings could be more productive and better spent. If you find meetings unfocussed, ineffective, or too time consuming, this course is for you.
- Meeting war stories
- Planning the meeting
- Do we really need to meet?
- Planning considerations
- What’s the purpose
- Who needs to attend
- Should YOU attend?
- The 50-minute meeting
- The meeting “package”
- Place: the venue
- Preparing for a productive meeting
- The agenda
- The chairperson’s role
- Conducting the meeting
- Running a tight meeting
- What to do when the chair doesn’t chair
- Dealing with disruptions
- Action items
- What can you do as a participant?
- After the meeting is over
- Virtual meetings
Throughout the course we will learn and practice techniques using examples from your own work environment. Come prepared to learn, have fun, and find new strategies for making meetings work for you.